One Hour Crusty Bread
What you'll need:
4 1/2 teaspoons of dry active yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
450g strong bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
Dutch oven or ceramic baking pot with lid
What to do:
1. Combine yeast, water and sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir so all is mixed well.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 200C and place your baking tin/dutch oven in to preheat (this will help with starting the bake off well!)
3. Add the majority of the flour into the mix, alongside the salt. Beat on a low speed in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment for 5 minutes. Then add in the remaining flour and switch the attachment to the dough hook. Beat for about 7 minutes until the dough looks elastic, still slightly wet but not sticking to the sides of your bowl. If it looks a bit too sticky still, feel free to add a sprinkling more flour. If you do not have a stand mixer you can do this by hand, but knead for about 10 minutes.
4. Grease a microwaveable bowl and tip the dough out into it. Cover with a damp tea towel and microwave for 25 seconds, then allow to rest for 5 minutes. Microwave again for 25 seconds and then allow to rest for a further 15 minutes. This stage is a bit of a cheat's way of speeding up proofing and really does work, you should see the dough activating and growing slightly.
5. Shape the dough into a ball and then transfer into the heated pot for baking. Slash the top of the bread with a knife. Then put the lid on the pot and bake covered for 30 minutes. After the 3o minutes, remove the lid and bake for 10 more minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting and serving!