Chewy Delicious Cookies
What you'll need:
340g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
170g unsalted butter, slightly melted/soft
150g packed brown sugar
100g white granulated sugar
70g golden granulated sugar
15ml vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt
Topping of your choice (let's say 1 pack of Oreos!)
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven at 160C and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until it forms a smooth, light and fluffy mixture. Once combined, add the eggs and vanilla extract then continue to stir until all is mixed in. You can also do these steps using a stand mixer, but I actually prefer making cookies by hand!
3. Using a separate bowl mix together the flour, pinch of salt and baking soda. Then, in portions, add this to the main mixture and stir until a dough has formed. You want your dough to be quite heavy so it can be rolled into balls, if it's too wet then just add a little bit more flour.
4. Whether it's chocolate chips, Smarties or Oreos... Now is the time to add the best bits! The trick here is to only add 2/3 of the topping into the mixture, saving the rest for adding later when they're taking shape.
5. Once the chocolate of choice has been added, use your hands to roll the dough into equal balls. It's up to you how big you want your cookies to be, but just remember to keep them far enough apart so that they don't merge together when they cook! I aim for dough balls just a little bit bigger than a ping pong ball.
6. Place the balls of dough on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 mins.
7. After 13 mins get the cookies out of the oven, they might look slightly under done still but now is the time to add in the extra toppings. Break up your Oreos/grab chocolate chips and gently place chunks on top of the cookie, wedging them softly into the dough. Once the cookies cool, these chunks will be held firmly in the dough.
8. Allow your cookies to cool and then enjoy!!!!
Send me pics of your cookies if you try this recipe - I'd love to see them!!!