Chocolate & Vanilla Biscuits
What you'll need:
For the cookies:
170g plain flour
90g cocoa powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
140g unsalted butter, softened
320g caster sugar, plus 3 tbsp extra
1 large egg
For the vanilla filling:
225g unsalted butter, softened
435g icing sugar
1tbsp vanilla extract
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 3 baking sheets with grease proof paper/baking parchment.
2. Sift flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
3. Using a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment or hand-held electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar together for 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat on medium speed until just incorporated. Lower the speed and add the dry ingredients gradually until the dough is well combined.
4. Using a teaspoon, drop round dough balls onto the baking sheets about 5cm apart. Press the bottom of a glass into a bowl of caster sugar and use it to flatten the cookie dough to 3-4mm thick. Be careful when removing the glass from the dough - use a palette knife if needed.
5. Bake for approx 10 minutes until the cookies are firm, but make sure they do not burn. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
6. To make the filling, using a freestanding mixer with the paddle attachment or an electric whisk, beat the butter until it's light and fluffy. On a low speed, carefully add the icing sugar and when it's just incorporated, turn up the speed and beat for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and continue to beat for at least 2 more minutes.
7. To assemble the cookies, put the vanilla filling into a piping bag and pipe about a tablespoon onto one cookie in a spiral, leaving space around the edges. Cover with another cookie and gently press together so that the filling squeezes our near the edges of the cookies. Repeat until you have used all the cookies and filling.