For the shortbread:
150g plain flour
100g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
50g caster sugar
For the toppings:
200g granulated sugar
90g salted butter, cubed & room temp
120ml double cream
150g milk chocolate
50g dark chocolate
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Place the flour, sugar and butter in a bowl, then using your hands combine until the texture resembles breadcrumbs and the large chunks of butter have disappeared.
2. Once you've got the desired texture, squeeze the mixture together until a rough dough forms.
3. Grab your baking tin (mine was 10 x 8 inches). It's absolutely fine to use one that's a different size though, just make sure it's not too much bigger or smaller as you either won't have enough mixture to fill the tin, or you'll get some very chunky shortbreads!
4. Line the baking tin with parchment and then fill it with the shortbread mixture. Push the mixture down into the tin with your hands, remembering to cover the whole base, even working the mixture into the corners and edges. You are looking to get an even and compact layer of dough across the base of your tin.
5. Once the tin is neatly filled, pop it in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until it's JUST starting to golden.
6. Whilst the shortbread is baking, get working on the caramel filling. Grab a large heavy based pan and heat the sugar on a low temp. Keep a very close eye on the pan to make sure the sugar doesn't burn. You will know the sugar is ready once it turns slightly amber and is completely melted. At this point, add the cubed butter and stir vigorously over the heat. Do not stop stirring until all is combined. If the mixture splits, simply take it off the heat and continue mixing before returning it back onto the hob. Next, add the cream and stir well. The mixture will increase in size and bubble, but keep it on the heat and stir for about 1 minute so that it thickens. After a minute remove from the heat and place in a fresh bowl to chill.
7. When the shortbread is ready, take it out of the oven and allow to chill in the tin for about 20/30 minutes.
8. Once it's chilled add a nice thick, smooth layer of caramel all over the shortbread. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon spread the caramel evenly. Then place the whole thing in the fridge to chill for approx 15 minutes.
9. Melt your chocolate, either using a double boiler or 1-2 minutes in the microwave. Which ever way you do it, keep an eye on the chocolate and stir regularly so that it doesn't burn. Once melted cover the caramel and shortbread with the chocolate, again working right into the corners and edges. Smooth the top with a spatula or back of a spoon and pop back into the fridge to chill until set.
10. Finally, once the chocolate has set remove from the tin and chop up to serve!