Oreo & Marshmallow Cupcakes
What you'll need:
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 190C & line 2 x 12-hole muffin trays with 16 cases.
2. Melt the chocolate: I'd advise doing this in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water on the hob. That way you are less likely to burn the chocolate, which is sometimes the risk of using a microwave! Heat and stir occasionally until all is melted through and all chocolate chunks have disappeared. Set aside to cool.
3. In a clean bowl cream the butter and sugar together, using an electric hand mixer, until the mixture is pale and smooth. Slowly add the egg yolks and beat well. Next, add the melted chocolate very gradually and beat well again. Remember to only do this once the chocolate has cooled slightly, otherwise you might have problems making a smooth batter!
4. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt into a separate bowl and mix together.
5. Measure out the milk using a jug and stir in the vanilla extract. Gradually add alternate amounts of the flour mixture and the milk into the chocolate batter that you've already created. Make sure you beat well after each addition.
6. In a new bowl and using a clean whisk (very important!), whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks have formed. Then using a spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the main batter until it is all combined. Be very gentle at this stage as you do not want to knock air out of the mixture and this is the secret to the fluffiness of these cupcakes!
7. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, only filling them 'till their about two-thirds full.
8. Bake for 20-25mins, keeping an eye on how they're going. Once ready, leave the cupcakes to chill in their tins for about 10 minutes before turning them out to cool further on a wire cake rack.