Rhubarb & Almond Cake
What you'll need:
150g salted butter (softened)
150g golden caster sugar
2 medium eggs
200g ground almonds
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
400g rhubarb, trimmed into long lengths
extra 2tbsp of sugar
You will also need a cake tin for baking and extra butter for greasing your tin.
What to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 160C fan assisted (180C no fan), then prep your cake tin by greasing generously with butter or lining with baking parchment.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar to make a smooth mixture and stir until completely combined. One by one, add the eggs and mix until light and fluffy.
3. Add the ground almonds to the mixture, then sift in the flour and baking powder. Give it all one final mix.
4. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin and level out the top. Remember, whatever size your cake tin is, leave room for the batter to rise.
5. Lay the rhubarb lengths on top of the batter, don't push it in deeply as you do not want the batter to rise over the rhubarb. I started from the middle of the cake and trimmed the rhubarb as I went, this allowed me to get a circle shape to cover the whole cake (see my photo for the layout!).
6. Sprinkle the top of the rhubarb with the extra sugar, then pop into the oven for 50-60mins. Keep checking towards the end of the bake and judge for yourself when the sponge is cooked by inserting a skewer into the cake and looking for it to come out clean.
7. Allow the cake to cool fully before serving!